Skip to main content

10 Reasons to Love Avocados

Hippocrates Health Institute posted about the health value of avocados, one of the most nutrient-rich and versatile fruits that can be eaten daily to enhance a person's health. Originally native to Central America, for hundreds of years avocados have been cultivated. Now they are used in numerous recipes: appetizers, salads, desserts, and even eaten alone. This fruit versatile in meal presentation can play a big part in the health journey by providing the body with nutrients and other healing properties. Externally used, the natural oils in avocados can also penetrate deep into the skin, making it a great addition to skin and hair care routines.

Book title "An Avocado a Day" as posted on Amazon
Here are 10 reasons why a person should love avocado: 
Regulates blood pressure
High source of fiber
Helps absorb nutrients from other foods
Contains more potassium than a banana
Loaded with heart-healthy, mono-unsaturated fatty acids
Can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Helps promote weight loss
Repairs damaged hair
Moisturizes skin
Treats sunburn
These are certainly some beneficial reasons to introduce avocado to the diet or as an addition to body care products.
______________________________________________________

Just an aside for those struggling with severe systemic candida. During the early days of my hell-fight with severe systemic candida, I couldn't eat avocados ... maybe because I was having a hard time digesting fat, but those early days I was close to starving and could basically only eat chlorophyll-rich foods. Bone thin but after starting to feel better, I found that avocados were the go-to food for helping to regulate my weight, mood and energy. Without organic cold-pressed coconut oil and then avocados in those early days of acute sickness, I think I probably would have melted away. 

One more important point, after I started eating avocados regularly, I noticed that my vitamin A issues were being alleviated. Although I was eating as many vitamin A-rich foods as I could, my vitamin A was extremely low, causing all kinds of problems with my eyes, cartilage and throat. For the body to absorb vitamin A into the blood and gain benefit from the vitamin, fat is necessary. I very much believe it was the fat from avocado much more than the coconut oil, which was good to prevent acute weight loss and heal the GI tract, that helped reach a more stable health plateau. 

That said, I also noticed that if I ate avocados after 4pm, I couldn't fall easily to sleep that night. I usually eat a whole one in guacamole form: avocado, fresh squeezed lemon juice, Himalayan salt, maybe black pepper. Hmm, never heard of that before, but I do know that foods have different effects on the body. Would be nice to know if anyone else has experienced this strange phenomenon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...

Passing Gas