Skip to main content

Insights on the Ketogenic Diet

From what I'm seeing on the Internet the ketogenic diet is a raging buzz word. It certainly was not so nine years ago when I first got so sick that almost everything I ate made me feel unspeakably ill. I can only say that the diet I undertook to deal with my symptoms was a desperate avoidance of almost every kind of reactionary food. Basically I became a grass grazer (lots of green leafies, coconut oil (which I discovered gave me energy and kept me from being too much of a skeleton) and just a few other simple foods -- See my horrendously constrained, but wonderfully restoring diet. Yes, call it strict, but it helped me tremendously!)

Later a friend whose son has Doose Syndrome, a very rare form of epilepsy, looked at this blog and wrote back commenting on my keto diet. Never heard of a keto diet before so looked it up, and looked up the treatment for people with Doose. It was a bit hard to understand, eating to feed the brain ketones to burn instead of glucose that most people's brains are fired off of. Found a based-on-real-life movie "First Do No Harm" starring with Meryl Streep on the keto diet. In it Meryl's son had the rare form of epilepsy and the movie was her fight to save her son with the virtually unknown tightly regulated keto diet. A very moving movie and also one that gave me a deeper understanding of the practical application and importance of rigid adherence to a program known to be beneficial for a specific body type-body requirement.

So now there are tons of materials on the web for the ketogenic diet. I don't really support the direction the keto diet is going because most people, as far as I can tell, aren't informing themselves of long-term dietary issues that the diet can create. Nor do I feel that most people are really in tuned their bodies to know if the diet is really benefitting them or if they should tweak the diet to make it more beneficial for their own body types and nutritional needs. Anyway, I found this website more informative than others on the specificity of the keto diet and hope that others can get some more specific answers on it if they're choosing to try the diet. 

BTW, this isn't a diet that you try for a couple of weeks but is a lifestyle change diet. Just something to keep in mind, especially as the brain is burning ketones and needs an adjustment from burning glucose, so I'm thinking the one week of a keto diet and the next of a glucose-brain-fueling diet wouldn't be particularly beneficial for the body. 

_____________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________

For more on the diet, reference: The Ketogenic Diet Resource

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...