Skip to main content

Gluten-free Cream Puff Pastries

adapted from Chocolate Profiteroles in Desserts: Mouthwatering Recipes for Delectable Dishes (1997)

Cream Puff Pastry

1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of cardamom
6 tablespoons coconut oil
3 eggs
3/4 cup water
1. preheat over to 350F
2. Sift dry ingredients together
3. In medium saucepan, bring coconut oil and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add in dry ingredients. Beat for 1 minutes until mixture starts to pull away from the pan. Put over low heat and cook mixture together for 2 minutes, beating constantly. Remove from heat.
4. Beat one egg in a small bowl and set aside. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, to the mixture. Mix well then add beaten egg gradually. Dough should be smooth and shiny and fall by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet.
5. Drop by tablespoons (x12) on a sprayed cookie sheet, well spaced. Bake 25-30 minutes until pastry has risen and browned.
6. Turn off oven and let puff. Cool with door cracked. [Oops! I opened the door wide and they cooled too fast ... and collapsed - boo]

To serve, slice open and fill with fruit, fruit sauces, pudding, cream, ice cream ... whatever suits your diet.


COMMENT: The original recipe called for nutmeg and I used it. Yikes! My throat got a bit tight - that's where I have a nice patch of candida fungus and it LOVED the nutmeg. I had no idea candida would like it so much as I just have avoided it since I learned it causes liver cancer. Anyway, this was more or less an experiment. My brother challenged me to make him some gluten-free cream puffs ... so after flubbing the first batch, this one turned out VERY MUCH LIKE CREAM PUFF PASTRIES. My bro was impressed!!! The future doesn't see me making many of these for me because of the white rice flour which I am avoiding till I nix this candida stuff, but otherwise, they're very candida friendly :)

Here's how my bro ate them .... other than snatching them up and just snarfing them down. These were topped with a chocolate sauce and a cream sauce, which he was pretty happy about too. Here are those recipes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...