Skip to main content

Allergy and Candida Cooking

While reading Allergy and Candida Cooking: Understanding and Implementing Plans for Healing by Lewis and Fink (Canary Connect Publications 2009), I found some particularly good insight on proactively helping the body to heal through careful dietary measures. 


Probiotics - What They Do:
  • (some kinds) produce lactase for the lactose intolerant
  • facilitate healing from IBS (inflammatory bowel syndrome)
  • reduce diarrhea and constipation
  • increase nutrient bioavailability, esp aids the absorption of calcium, zinc and iron (important in the treatment of candida)
  • reduce acid reflux
  • lower cholesterol
  • contribute to the prevention of cancer, esp colon cancer
  • properly balance yeast growth (vital for people with candida)

Natural probiotic food sources that promote friendly bacteria and prevent the spread of bacterial infections -- these foods are high in chlorophyll:
  • alfalfa
  • barley green
  • chlorella
  • spirulina
  • green Kamut
  • blue green algae

Anti-fungals for treating candida include:
  • B-complex
  • bentonite
  • capryllic acid
  • citrus seed extract (grapeseed)
  • coenzyme Q
  • garlic
  • grape extracts (with caution)
  • oil of oregano
  • olive leaf extract
  • psyllium
  • tanalbit
  • pau d'arco
  • coconut oil
  • olive oil
  • foods rich in chlorophyll are also anti-fungal:
  • kelp
  • seaweed
  • dulse

Essential Fatty Oils (EFAs)

These oils have Omega-3s and Omega-6s and are essential for reducing inflammation and rebuilding cells. They also reduce cholesterol, regulate hormones and fight infections:
  • flax seed oil
  • evening primrose oil
  • GLA
  • borage oil
  • fish oils
  • saw palmetto is important for men with prostatitis associated with yeast infection

Treatment That May Buffer Food Reactions
  • drink 1/4 t. baking soda in 1/2 cup purified water. You may need to repeat the dose
  • drink buffered, corn-free, citrus-free vitamin C powder dissolved in purified water
  • drink purchased salt preparations such as a combination of sodium and potassium bicarbonates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...