Skip to main content

Gluten-free, Sugar-free Carrot Cake

1 rounded cup gluten-free flour blend (millet, brown rice, quinoa, flax meal)
1/2+ t. baking soda*
1/2+ t. baking powder*
4-5 T. cinnamon
2 t. coriander
1 t. cardamom
1/4 t. nutmeg*
1 1/2 inch segment fresh ginger, grated
1/2 rounded t. Himalayan salt
3 eggs
1 cup coconut oil
2 t. vanilla (preferably alcohol-free)
2/3 cup pecan (or walnut) pieces
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
*The starred ingredients I have avoided for a long time because they previously aggravated my candida. Today I successfully tried them out. No, this was a treat and I'm not now introducing these ingredients to my diet regularly, but just wanted a special treat. The same applies for the large amount of grated carrot which has a higher glycemic load than I can typically handle. Hooray! My body accepted the treat and I had no consequences. How wonderful! I'll still be strict with my diet but I do know the strictness if really paying off! 

To make, combine dry ingredients and then add the wet, adding the grated carrots last. Pour sticky batter into a greased and floured baking dish and bake on 350F for 40 minutes. Gluten-free baked goods don't brown typically like glutinous ones, but there will be a golden glow to the finished cake, which btw is more like a rich bread. Test for cake being properly cooked with a toothpick. If the inserted toothpick comes out batter-free, then the cake is ready to pull from the over and enjoy. Yum!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...