Skip to main content

"Sugar-free" Banana Bread

It's been yeeeears since I ate banana bread, because of the evil candida, but the other day a friend posted some beautiful flour-free loaves (made with almond "flour") on Facebook and I thought I might be able to have a small treat since I'm now reacting less and less to foods -- hurray! The last 6 months or so I've occasionally eaten a banana, but always at breakfast time and with vegetables to kind of balance the natural sugar. Hmm, so I figured I could manage a little banana bread, esp if I didn't eat too much at one time.

My banana bread recipe, although it's not a very candida-friendly recipe with the bananas and "sugary" dates:
3 ripe bananas (no brown spots or too mushy)
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/3 c coconut oil + little water to warm the oil (3 T?)
2 eggs
1/2 c almond flour
1 c (mixture) garbanzo bean flour, quinoa flour, millet flour
3 T flax seed
1/2+ t baking soda
1/2+ t Himalayan salt
2 t cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
2/3 c walnut pieces
10 dates chopped
Bake for 50 minutes at 350F in small loaf pans.



The banana bread came out tasting absolutely awesome! OK, I'm not used to having sweet things of any kind but even my friend who eats sweets said it was great, and it was moist. The very small downside is about 3 hours after eating a whole loaf (I couldn't stop!) I noticed my tongue covered with a white film. According to a 50-year raw food chiropractor, residue on the back of the tongue after eating, particularly white residue, is a sign of not digesting grains or flours made of grains well. My mom has told me in the past when I ate flours that my breath was bad ... yes, so I somehow lack enzymes for digesting grains, or maybe I should just not eat a whole, blooming, tasty loaf at one sitting! Moderation is probably the big key here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greenday Veggie Snacks: Okra, Onion, Pumpkin

I am a bit in love with my new little discovery at the international food mart in Itaewon, Seoul. The owner is from Pakistan and gets some of the oddest items mostly from the US, SE Asia, and the Middle East. Of course there's very little that I can eat because my diet is so limited, but my latest foray there unearthed some vegetable snack crackers imported from Thailand ... the brand, Greenday. There were three flavors available: okra chips, onion chips, and pumpkin chips. With only two ingredients listed on the package (their respective vegetable and then 2% rice bran oil), I had to give them a try. Not sure if I'd label them as only 2% oil though as they left a greasy film on my fingers, but they certainly are a nice treat. The okra and onion chips are my favorites. I find them much more flavorful than the pumpkin chips, but then my tastebuds prefer salty and sour to sweet so that's no great surprise to me in the preference. There's not much in a package (okra - 25g;

Fingernail Analysis, part III

8 Health Warnings Your Fingernails May Be Sending   Source Your eyes may be the window to your soul, but, in many ways your, nails are the window to what’s going on inside your body. Here are some common nail problems and what they mean:  Take a good look at your fingernails and you may notice subtle variations in the texture or color; white spots, a rosy tinge, rippling or bumps in the surface to mention a few. These imperfections may not look like much to you, but it’s more important than you might think to maintain healthy fingernails. That’s because to the trained eye, nails can provide valuable indications about your overall health.  Hold a hand level with your nose about a foot out from your face and scrutinize each one. Look at the grooves, curves, ridges and dips. Notice how thick or thin they are and if there are any stark differences. Are your nails are chipped or broken. Make a note of the color of the nail itself, the skin under it as well as the skin around

WARNING: Too Many Supplements May Up Cancer Risk

About three years ago I went to Hippocrates Health Institute. At HHI the lifestyle is 100% raw food and taking care of one's total dietary (includes supplements) health as well as total lifestyle changes, e.g. water, exercise, sunlight, sleep, etc. During the three week program, all participants were encouraged to sign a self-contract that toothpaste, shampoo, and cosmetics would even be the pure and natural kind. People, if they weren't on serious prescriptions, were even encouraged under doctor's guidance not to take their meds and especially to lay off their "health-supporting" supplements. Wow, Brian Clement, the program director and author of several books including Supplements Exposed , told about some people having such serious withdrawals from their supplements that they would have tremors and other disturbing side-effects. Unlike what marketing strategies suggest, these "healthy supplements" really aren't all that healthy! Warni