Skip to main content

Buckwheat Vermicelli with Cilantro Pesto

Cilantro Pesto 
1 very large wad of cilantro leaves & stems
1/2 - 2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 - 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (some zest, if desired)
5-7 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
2/3 - 1 cup almonds
Buckwheat Noodles and Veggies 
1 package buckwheat noodles (12 oz?)
2 large tomatoes, sliced somewhat thinly
1 pepper, sliced thinly
1 very large handful fresh spinach, cut into 2-3 inch lengths
more salt and lemon juice if desired
To make the pesto in a high speed blender, put in the wet ingredients (lemon juice and olive oil) and half of the cilantro leaves. Blend till somewhat smooth before adding the remaining leaves. Blend again, adding in the seasonings and the almonds last. The almonds do not need to be blended into a smooth paste ... some texture adds interest to the food. Serve fresh or chilled. (The pesto will definitely be thicker once it has chilled.)
Buckwheat vermicelli with veggies (tomatoes, sweet red pepper, spinach) and cilantro pesto sauce.

To make the gluten-free buckwheat noodles, boil them to desired texture in salted water with a teaspoon of oil to prevent clumping. While allowing them to boil, cut up spinach and tomatoes and put them in a large colander. Once the noodles are ready, pour the noodles with all the excess water over the spinach and tomatoes, allowing them to heat and slightly cook. Drain well and toss the noodles and slightly cooked veggies together. Add to a deep dish and mix with cilantro pesto to make a tasty creamy sauce over the noodles and still very fresh veggies. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Here's a similar buckwheat vermicelli dish with alternate veggie choice to enjoy:

Ingredients: white rice, buckwheat, water
(a product of Hong Kong and purchased at a Vietnamese store)

yesterday's salad: parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions
with a fresh lemon juice, salt, garlic and light dill weed dressing.

pouring the hot noodles and noodle water over the salad to slightly cook the veggies

Once the noodles have been poured over the freshies, drain the excess water and then transfer the mass to a contained dish. Mix the noodles and slightly cooked veggies with the pesto sauce. Best eaten while hot!
Cooking Tip: If there's not quite enough pesto to coat the noodles, add a little fresh lemon juice and salt and the noodle flavor will perk right up!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...