Skip to main content

WARNING: Too Many Supplements May Up Cancer Risk

About three years ago I went to Hippocrates Health Institute. At HHI the lifestyle is 100% raw food and taking care of one's total dietary (includes supplements) health as well as total lifestyle changes, e.g. water, exercise, sunlight, sleep, etc. During the three week program, all participants were encouraged to sign a self-contract that toothpaste, shampoo, and cosmetics would even be the pure and natural kind. People, if they weren't on serious prescriptions, were even encouraged under doctor's guidance not to take their meds and especially to lay off their "health-supporting" supplements. Wow, Brian Clement, the program director and author of several books including Supplements Exposed, told about some people having such serious withdrawals from their supplements that they would have tremors and other disturbing side-effects. Unlike what marketing strategies suggest, these "healthy supplements" really aren't all that healthy!
A large-scale study has shown that over-supplementation could be very bad for our health.
Source
Could it be possible that too many vitamins and minerals can bring about various forms of cancer? Yes, according to a large-scale study delivered during the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting 2015.
The research presented at this conference dates back 20 years, when scientists discovered that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables was shown to keep cancer at bay. Then study experts shifted their focus to over-the-counter supplements, assuming that consuming extra vitamins and minerals would also produce anti-cancer benefits.
First came the testing on animals and the results were encouraging. Scientists then studied thousands of patients—over 300,000—who were given either dietary supplements or a placebo over a 10-year period. 
And their findings were alarming...
“We show that not only is supplementing your diet with vitamins that are found in a healthy diet unlikely to decrease your risk of developing cancer, but in some cases, taking more than the recommended daily allowance of these supplements can increase cancer risk,” lead investigator Tim Byers, MD, MPH from the University of Colorado Cancer Center tells Yahoo Health.  “More specifically, taking more than the recommended daily allowance of folic acid, Vitamin E and beta-carotene were all shown to increase cancer risk.”
One trial showed that taking more than the required amounts of beta-carotene — which is known for its ability to improve immunity and enhance vision — in supplement form increased the risk for developing both lung cancer and heart disease by 20 percent. Men who took an excess of vitamin E were at a higher risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer. And while folic acid — a B vitamin — was considered a possible remedy for reducing the number of polyps in the colon, it increased the number in another trial.
"There really is no strong hypothesis explaining why these dietary supplements increase cancer risk," states Byers. "It may have to do with the body's overall nutrient balance, in this case 'imbalance', or it may have to do with specific effects of overall consumption of specific supplements."
So should we avoid the vitamin aisle altogether? "Unfortunately, few Americans eat a well-balanced diet and hope to make up for this by taking dietary supplements," says Byers. "My recommendation is to get your nutrients from a healthy diet. If you take vitamins or other dietary supplements, choose products that stay within the recommended daily allowance." 
________________________________________________________
My personal take on this article is every person who consumes vitamins should be aware that in almost all cases the vitamins and supplements are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies and the substance of the "supplementation" is actually chemical, which is not food and should not be treated as food or food supplements. For more on this read "Supplements Exposed" by Brian Clement, and there are many more books on the market exposing the fallacy that supplementation is beneficial for "supplementing" our poor diet choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...