Skip to main content

Mung Bean Sprout Stir-fry

3-4 T. coconut oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2"-3" piece of fresh ginger, minced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 cups mung bean sprouts
1/2 carrot, shredded
1 can lotus seed, bamboo shoots, or water chestnuts (optional)
2 cups fresh kale, in large shreds
1/2 t. sea salt
Saute the onion, garlic and ginger on low heat in the coconut oil. Add in the bean sprouts and shredded carrots and lightly sauté. When the bean sprouts and carrots are becoming tender (do not overcook), add in the fresh kale shreds and stir until the kale is a bright green. Serve immediately with brown rice and seaweed laver.

I used lotus seeds ... for the first time. While I love bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, I am not keen on lotus seeds. They are very dry and somewhat bland. But cool, I did try them and it's exciting to eat something different :)
The seaweed laver is particularly complimentary to brown rice and stir-fry.
I eat tons and tons of laver and since being in Korea, the white spots on my nails have disappeared ... but they return when I'm in the States for a few consecutive weeks. I have wondered for a long time if the seaweed has something to do with eliminating the white spots, which supposedly are caused by zinc or calcium (have heard both contribute).


Pretty good, but have to say that my body isn't ready for the starchiness of the lotus seeds. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...