Skip to main content

Leftover Veggie Soup

Leftover Veggie Soup

1 cup leftover brown rice/garbanzo beans/other beans
(if using beans, add bean broth to replace some of the water)
a few cups water
1 small onion, sliced thinly
3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
a handful of spinach or other dark green leafy
1-2 stalks celery, sliced
2-3 stems green onion, sliced
1 handful of cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons coconut oil
cumin and turmeric
dried thyme and rosemary (optional) or fresh parsley
sea salt

Bring the leftover rice/beans to a simmer in 1/2 a 2-quart-sized pot. Allow to simmer a few minutes to further soften the rice/beans. Then add in the onion, garlic, celery, coconut oil and spices and simmer until the onions are becoming translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat and serve immediately while veggies are at peak color.

Alternately, put the veggie stew into a blender and blend to a smooth creaminess
and serve immediately while hot and full of freshly cooked veggie flavors. 


Garnish the blended soup with diagonally cut green onions. Serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Bittermelon Okinawan Style

 According to my health-conscious Philippina friend, bittermelon is very nutrition, especially for women as it's iron-rich. Well, what female doesn't need bittermelon ... but a word of caution for the unsuspecting, the vegie ... is ... very ... bitter. I actually like it, but I'm not going to eat it like I would a cucumber, although it goes very nicely raw mixed equally with cucumber. In that kind of salad, I grate the bittermelon and cut the cucumber in thin rings. With some cherry tomatoes or a little lemon juice and salt, it's quite the nice salad.   This recipe I bumped into online and just wanted to try it. I prefer not to cook my vegies if I can help it, but hey, an experiment today ["today" being a month ago].   Bittermelon with Egg and Onions   Bittermelon with egg and onions, also called goya chanpuru in Japanese, and it is an Okinawan delicacy. I was telling my Philippina friend about it because she introduced me to this exotic healthy "treat...

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...