Skip to main content

Deciphering the Numbers on Produce

What does the number on a fruit sticker mean?

This is a compilation of 3 online sources by RAW EARTH LIVING. Their goal was to uncover the meanings hidden in numbers in those little stickers put on produce in the US so that the consumer can KNOW what he or she is eating ... and if it has been genetically modified, sprayed or is organic.
———————————————————————————————————————–

If there are only four numbers in the PLU, this means that the produce was grown conventionally or “traditionally” with the use of pesticides. The last four letters of the PLU code are simply what kind of vegetable or fruit. An example is that all bananas are labeled with the code of 4011.

If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “8″, this tells you that the item is a genetically modified fruit or vegetable. Genetically modified fruits and vegetables trump being organic. So, it is impossible to eat organic produce that are grown from genetically modified seeds. A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

Decoding Your Produce
7 out of 10 items in grocery store shelves contain ingredients that have been genetically modified. Fruit and vegetables do not come with nutrition labels but they do have stickers (PLU – Price Look Up code) which contain pertinent information. Price Look-Up codes, commonly called PLU codes, PLU numbers or PLUs, are identification numbers affixed to produce and other products in grocery stores and supermarkets to make check-out and inventory control easier, faster, and more accurate. The code is a four or five-digit number, identifying the type of bulk produce, usually including the variety.

Organic produce is denoted by a five-digit number whose first digit is 9 (e.g. 94011 for organic yellow bananas); an 8 prefix indicates genetically modified food. The codes have been in use since 1990, and currently, there are over 1300 universal PLU codes assigned.

Use of PLU codes eliminates the need for grocery store checkers to identify each variety of produce visually. This advantage is especially important with the growth of the organic produce market; for example, organic and conventional oranges may look the same but have very different prices.

So, next time you decide to purchase that apple or cut a slice out of that melon, consider the PLU sticker. This sticker will tell you whether the fruit was organically grown, genetically modified, or produced with chemical fertilizers, herbicides or fungicides.
PLU stickers with 4 digits and begin with a “3″ or “4″ - produce is conventionally grown. This means that this produce was sprayed with weed killers and chemical pesticides.

PLU stickers with 5-digits and start with “8″ - produce was genetically engineered (man intervened by manipulating the genes to produce a larger or brighter colored food). This produce may have been chemically treated.

PLU stickers with 5-digits and start with “9″ - produce was raised organically. You can be sure that this produce was not treated with any chemicals.
Price Look-Up codes are generally printed on small stickers or tags, and the glue used isn't supposed to be harmful to the body.

Examples: 4139 - conventional Granny Smith apple
94139 - organic Granny Smith
84139 - genetically modified Granny Smith
Another Example:
APPLES (4173) Variety: Royal Gala
Variety Info:
Type: Global
Category: FR
North American Size: 100 size and smaller
Rest of World Size: AFW = less than 205g
If you see other variations of code on your produce, you can refer to the following website and look up the PLU code as well as other information regarding this topic: http://www.fruitsticker.com. The PLU system is administered by the International Federation for Produce Standards, an affiliate of the Produce Marketing Association.

NOTE:  the adhesive used to stick the PLU onto the fruit is edible but the sticker itself is not.
COMMENT: having some origin coding would be great for seeing how far a particular fruit/vegetable traveled but that is something still hidden in our giant supermarkets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This numbering system is also used in South Korea. My first awareness of this cultural transference was just a couple weeks ago when I saw a huge display of big fat lemons priced at 3/₩1,000 when usually the price is 3/₩2,000 or more much smaller lemons. I bought a whole bag full, and when I got them home, I noticed the number 4???, looked up the meaning online and found out I'd bought a bunch of chemically polluted lemons. I kind of figured that when I saw those cheap beauties, but now I'm wondering how those other lemons I've been buying are classed. Hah, I didn't realize this system was in Korea. I'm gonna teach EVERYBODY!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now that the number labeling on fruits is somewhat clear, here is an example of the nutrition of organic and conventionally grown foods. And then just speculate how much less nutritional value is actually in GMO foods than that found in the conventionally grown produce..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...