Skip to main content

Gone 80% Raw!

Actually, I went 70-80% raw back in mid-October, but my water situation in Seoul causes me problems as I need to wash my vegies in the tap water, which bothers me a bit. I've noticed I do better if I eat some of my vegies steamed (with Kirkland bottled water; locally bottled water is NOT an option! In the past it's made my head and arms numb and has instantly swollen my ankles - NOT an option!). So, I do 70-80% raw for a while, start to notice some problems, back off to about 50% for a few weeks, and then try again  ... with gradually the same results. In January/February I tried to leave Korea so quit my job, but I'm trapped here for another year because I can't break my apartment contract. Sigh ... but since I LOVE Korea, that's not so bad even though it is a health annoyance. So for the time being, I'll fluctuate as need be between my 50% raw diet and then the more enzyme-rich 70-80% raw diet. Right now I'm back to being a 70-80% raw foodie.


So why do I keep aiming for 80% raw? Well, last summer while I was visiting my parents, I did all the cooking. My family eats lots of salads and vegies and they also like, like most Americans, cooked entrees. So while I was home, I found myself eating more cooked food than raw. My previous food pattern was 50-50 but with the additional cooked food, maybe 40-60% and sometimes 30-70% raw to cooked became my norm, and I noticed I didn't have my previous energy. So early October without planning I just started eating massive salads in the evening again (all those enzymes!) ... and I noticed my energy shot up and I didn't need as much sleep. (Well, my body said it didn't need as much sleep, but if someone has health problems, sleep is not something to be compromised. I know my healing body still needs that sleep.) By mid-October I had started eating more raw, and had even made my first flaxseed wraps, which were less demanding to make than I had thought and they were quite good. And from there, the raw food percentage just kept climbing, so by late October I decided to go 80% raw. Making that conscious effort to systematically increase from 70% to 80% took a bit more ingenuity, but the rewards were great:

more energy
more bounce in my step
less of an urge or need to sleep
muscles feel elastic and supple (and that's a wow for me!)
mouth feels clean after meals, not just after salads
eyes don't get as tired (I read tons and tons!)
back and neck tension not an issue

In late November and December I was having problems with low vitamin E, which caused me to start having problems with the water again. I had to back off of the raw diet because it was putting me into too much contact with tap water and noticed that carbs (not good for candida) made me feel a lot better, so I was eating more carbs than I needed to keep eliminating the candida. By mid-January I was doing much better so started adding the vegies back in ... and juicing tons! And since mid-February I was back up to 70% and on some days even 80% ... well, until I got my molar pulled. For a few days after that, I either made soft soups or juiced piles and piles of vegies - about 2 cups of 100% fresh vegie juice a day to help with healing and provide loads of nutrients to counteract the amoxicillian, an antibiotic that's necessary to combat a bacteria that could be released in gum surgery and go directly to the heart. The two-cups a day of green juice was WONDERFUL! but ugh, it's hard finding so much time to do that kind of juicing (ugh, my excuse).

Anyway, someday, someday, someday (but it'll have to be after I'm away from Seoul water) I'll probably take the big step and go 100% raw, but for now, I'm absolutely happy to be a 70-80% raw foodist again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...