Skip to main content

First Sugar-free Raw Pie!

Without using any sugar or sweeteners, I must rely on blending food flavors to lend that dessert "sweetness" people so much like. Well, my cranberry-topped zucchini "cheesecake" is pretty good, especially since I prefer savory over sweet, which this is a unique conbination of. 

Raw, completely sugar-free zucchini "cheesecake"
 
Crust:
1 cup washed walnuts
1/3 cup hemp seeds
4 tablespoons flaxseeds
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon coriander
pinch of sea salt
water as needed
Filling:
1 large skinned zucchini
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked & drained
1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
Topping:
1/2 cup frozen cranberries, chopped

All of the ingredients in the list above are naturally sweet, except the walnuts, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, and sea salt, oh, and the tart cranberries! I would have used the naturally sweet almond but didn't have any on hand, but this turned out pretty decent for no sugar or sweetener, and I'll certainly be making it again! Without the cranberries though, it just couldn't be called "dessert".


The flax nuttiness of the crust and the cranberries really made this a nice combination :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...