Skip to main content

Broccoli Flax Wraps (raw)

It seems I was a bit overly ambitious about quantities when making my first flax bread/wraps, but the recipes I've read online tend to use small amounts, which puts the "cooks" forever in the kitchen and I just don't have time for that. So unlike other recipes of 1/3 or 1/2 cup of flaxseeds, I used a whole cup ... and kept adding water ... and kept adding water ... and kept adding water to make quite a lot of wraps. I'm not sure I like raw broccoli in bread wraps - it's faintly astringent - but with salad tucked inside, I didn't notice the astringency at all.

Broccoli Flax Wraps (raw)

1 cup flaxseeds soaked in one cup of water 
more water as necessary (3 or so cups)
1 1/2 cups broccoli in florets
3 large cloves of garlic
sea salt

Let the flaxseeds and water sit for 15 minutes; meanwhile, cut up the broccoli. Then blend the broccoli in batches in with the gelling flaxseeds. Keep adding water as necessary to keep the batter blending but not to make the mixture runny. Add salt to taste or a celery stick or two if salt isn't preferred.


Let the flaxseeds sit in water to expand and begin gelling - approximately 15 minutes
(waiting too long will create a glob)
Blend the florets gradually into the gelling flax blend.
Keep adding water or the blender motor will burn up.
Spread the batter onto dehydrator sheets - (I used parchment paper) - and dehydrate for 4 hours on 115F for 4 hours.
Flip them over and dehydrate another hour. 
After 4-5 hours of dehydrating, they will be soft and flexible and hold together very well.
Wrap them around salads, beans, whatever to make flax wraps ... and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...