Skip to main content

Dehydrating Tomatoes

Much to my horror and my systemic candida bacteria's delight, the 'sun-dried' tomatoes in the store contain sulfites "for color retention". Well, those cancer causers and candida feeders should not pass my lips, but I do so love dehydrated tomatoes ... dehydrated tomato added to my lentils, to a simple salad dressing or even broken up in "chips" to make "fake bacon bits" for my salads. And so, with the market having lots of tomatoes at a more reasonable price right now, I'm prepping my cupboards for the winter. And the only ingredient in my 'sun-dried' tomatoes is "tomatoes" ... and that is as it should be!

First, wash and air-dry the tomatoes. Then sort through and eliminate any that are overly ripe. Next, de-stem them and cut away any abnormalities on the skin. And then they are sliced 1/3" thick. To cut them thicker would take a lot more time for them to dehydrate and to cut them thinner would result in a thin flake with no substance. I like something with body but I don't want to risk too much thickness so that they might contain a little moisture and spoil, like some of mine did from last year.


By the way, the dehydrate sheets must be dry ... or the water moisture could also causing molding.


I dry my tomatoes on no higher than 41C (about 115F). 115F is the highest produce can be dehydrated at and retain its natural enzymes. Higher temperatures destroy enzymes and temperatures lower than 105F can actually become breeding grounds for bacteria. These tomatoes dried for 3 days ... and then I put left them in for another day because I could detect a little moisture in a few that had been cut thicker than the others.


And 4 days later, my precious tomatoes had shrunk down to a bit of nothing, but they are bright, well-dehydrated and full of enzymes and FLAVOR!


Last year's tomatoes. If you look closely, they're a bit black from the slow growing bacteria. They were also vaguely sticky with one another which is a sign of not being completely dehydrated. Regretfully, I had to throw them out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing Gas

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather.  So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some  lentil crackers , which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I ma...

Reaction to Electric Space Heater

This morning—thankfully it’s the weekend—had some difficulty waking up. Just felt really tired. When I finally got up and looked into the mirror, wow, surprise! My eyes, especially my right eye was very swollen. I knew immediately what happened as this had happened a couple of years before I got systemic candida. swollen eyelid again ... a space heater reaction At that time, I didn’t have floor heat in my one-room so used a space heater. Then one day when I woke up, both of my eyes had almost swollen shut. I was so ashamed to go anywhere, but did go to the store immediately and bought a long duck-billed baseball cap and wore it low for three days as I waited for the swelling to go down. I also went immediately to the hospital to consult with docs about what the hey was happening. Allergy testing was recommended because I had cats and the docs all thought it was them. Nope, I would have reacted long ago or at least had some hint, but I did test for cats, mold and a couple oth...